Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Communist Propaganda Art and the Civil Rights Movement

Despite the massive famines of the late fifties and the upheavals of the cultural revolution in the late sixties, Communists did a good job of educating the general public about the terrors of the outer capitalist world. Here is a photo from the Shanghai Propaganda Poster Museum depicting the depravity of the non-Communist world.

Ryan and I managed to locate this strange museum several days ago. Located in a non-descript apartment building with no road signs, this small museum is actually two rented apartments in building 4 of an average looking apartment complex in a residential part of Shanghai. In fact, Ryan and I were the only two patrons, excluding an Australian dermatologist who had spent the entire morning looking for the museum only to leave after about ten minutes.

2 comments:

An Intelligent Investor Wannabe said...

This is an interesting poster. It makes sense that the communist govt was trying tell its citizens the inequality of the capitalist world. It is true that in communist world people are more equal overall than the capitalist world, but of course the people at the very top generally get everything... With that said, I prefer capitalism in which at least I have a slim chance to be well off than to be really poor even when most people are poor with me..

Sorry for my philosophizing.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Alex!

I just have a question... Have you any idea the name of the artist that did the art for it? I'm doing a study on Art surrounding the civil rights for my art class.

If you don't know I totally understand, but if you do I'd love to find out.

khanny-luffs-you@hotmail.com