Sunday, June 3, 2007

Jefferson Prevails!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n03hSaZro3I

Today I went on another thrilling bike road through the neighboring vicinities of Shanghai. The most remarkable aspect is the immense diversity of people and lifestyles. Within the same block, there is a luxury 20 story apartment building and an old shack with a dozen people sitting out front. Of course the entire city is grungy but you get used to it. Construction looms everywhere as the older two and three story neighborhoods become 20 story apartment buildings.

I watched a man fishing in one of the many inner-city canals using a very clever net. I had forgotten to bring my camera. The net was supported by six long bamboo poles sitting on the bottom of the canal. When he wanted to haul in the large circular net he pulled on a long string that levered up the entire contraption so that he could see whether he had anything in it. Being a Sunday afternoon, about twenty old men stood watching him idly. In my athletic shoes, shorts, and UVA t-shirt I got a lot of stares and felt more than slightly uncomfortable as they spoke rapidly in Shanghainese.

No comments: