Thursday, June 28, 2007

Pale Skin in China

While in Beijing, Sarah and the other Jefferson Scholars arrived in Shanghai, leaving us with a one day overlap before they returned to the USA on Monday. They concluded their three week tour of Japan, China, and Tibet by absorbing some of Shanghai's air pollution. Sarah's light skin and height attracted considerable praise wherever we went.

We are pictured at the campus' Mao statue, also the site of the bi-weekly "English Corner", where students practice English. Some students also like to roller-blade beside the statue. Interesting. We are going to observe the Communist Party celebrate its birthday on Sunday morning so there will be more to say with respect to Party matters later this weekend.

Today I had dinner with two Chinese friends whose motives for befriending me have yet to become clear. I have become slightly disillusioned by the phenomenon of fast-friendship, as it seems that most Chinese see dollar signs when they see Americans. Even friendship for the sake of friendship can easily be the desire to practice English in disguise. In China, speaking English means making money, and so one can easily attract a following if one is ready to offer English instruction. An American ex-patriot has told me that it takes a very long time to actually befriend native Chinese, and so I remain skeptical that most of my acquaintances here are looking for personal gain. Yet, at the same time I have to admit that I'm also looking out for my own financial future by coming to China in the first place. Nevertheless, it is harder as a foreigner to judge sincerity in this culture.

No comments: