Monday, May 28, 2007

Land of Ping Pong Athletes

It seems you're always guaranteed some intense ping pong television programming in this country.

The workload of memorizing 80 new characters a day sets in as I continue to blend in posing as a native Shanghai ren. Walking by a restaurant window this afternoon I saw Edward Bennett and another UVA student at a table contentedly surrounded by food. Because of the very favorable exchange rate, they spared no expense in assuring themselves at least one tasteful dish. Fortunately I was able to help them finish the multitude of tdishes they randomly ordered from a menu of Chinese characters. We passed on the raw, seemingly intact fish. I still haven't found coffee beans for my coffee maker. Someone could make a fortune by getting the Chinese to start drinking coffee.

No comments: